The Town Council own the Playing Field in Upton upon Severn and it is a popular site for sport and walkers. We welcome dogs on the Playing Field but please note that it is not acceptable to leave dog waste anywhere on the field. The issue of dog waste on the field, but most particularly on the sports pitches is an ongoing problem and, although most owners do pick up, we continue to try and reach those who do not. If you see anyone who does not pick up after their dog, please let us know.
The Town Council has acquired the different parts of the field over many years: firstly the original ‘Recreation Ground’ (see below) in 1894, then the ‘Cricket Ground’ opposite the new Fire Station in the 1920s. Fifty years later the Council were able to join the two areas up with the purchases of the railway embankment and later Collinghurst Meadow in the 1970s. The New Field, situated at the rear of Collinghurst Meadow beyond the line of trees, was purchased in the 1990s with funds from the ‘Malvern Millions’.
The railway line previously crossed the field ending up at the station in Rectory Road where the Permadoor site now stands. The line itself fell victim to Beeching cuts in the 1960s. However, part of the railway embankment remains as a public footpath and leads off to the west ending up at the Cholera Burial Ground off New Street Lane.
Today the field is mainly turned over to rugby and football pitches as well as a play area at the New Street end. However the field is available to hire for events and is used in the summer for car boot sales, festivals and the occasional caravan rally. To book the field or make an enquiry, please contact the Town Council office.
Recreation Ground Charity
The Recreation Ground is the northern part of the sports field, which adjoins Backfields Lane. It extends from the New Street car park to a point about half way along the second team Rugby pitch. It encloses the Children’s Playground, Tennis Court and the Skatepark.
The Recreation Ground came into being in 1863 as part of the Inclosure (sic) Award for Upton. In that Award, the landowner gave the land to the “Churchwardens and Board of Guardians of the Poor” to be used as “A place for exercise and recreation for the inhabitants of the parish of Upton upon Severn and neighbourhood”.
When the Parish (now Town) Council was established in 1894, it took responsibility for the Recreation Ground. The Recreation Ground was registered with the Charity Commission in 1969.