Latest News from Upton upon Severn Town Council


More roadworks: From the County Council: Old Street will be closed on Sunday 20th January for one day from Minge Lane to the Cross for Severn Trent Water works. A diversion will be in place. Further information available from www.roadworks.org - add the location and the date to see the detail.


Not to be confused with...: Part of the Welland Road will be closed from Monday 4th February to Friday 22nd February inclusive. The road will be closed from the junction of Milestone Road to the junction of Greenfields Road – Greenfields Road and Milestone Road themselves will be accessible. Access will be permitted through the works for residents living along that section of the Welland Road only. The diversion route can be found at www.roadworks.org -  if you put in the location and the dates it will show the closed section of road and the diversion route highlighted in blue.


New Councillor: The Council offers a warm welcome to its newest member, Cllr Ivan Willis. We very much look forward to working with him.


Consultation on the future of Upton Library:  The County Council need to make more cuts and these will affect libraries in the county including Upton’s.

The consultation has two aspects: (1) it asks general questions and (2) it consults on the specific libraries themselves.

Each library is ranked. The ones with the highest ranking are prioritised. For the highest ranked libraries, including Malvern Library and the Hive, there will be no change. For the second highest ranked libraries, such as Pershore and Tenbury, the proposal is to invest in ‘Open Library’ technology. However, for Upton Library the proposal is to cut all paid staff and try to fill these roles with volunteers.

What is an ‘Open Library’? There are many things you can do in the library without staff being present. However, Open Libraries extend this by having no staff on site at all for certain periods. This is managed by having an entry control system, full coverage CCTV and a PA system to make announcements.

This would need funding, but if the investment could be made in Upton Library then savings could be made on staff costs without affecting opening hours. It may even be that most of the remaining hours could be run by volunteers with minimal need for staff. The Town Council is reluctant to see a total loss of all paid staff in the Library.

Please take part in the consultation. This ends on 2nd February and implementation of changes will be in summer 2019. To do the survey (1) Online via this link: “Libraries – Have Your Say”. You don’t have to fill in all the boxes, and can leave out the parts that relate to other libraries.  (2) Visit the library and ask for a paper copy. If you have any problems with this, please get in touch with the Town Council.


Film at the Memorial Hall in January: Saturday 19th January 2019    "EDIE"   Cert 12A    7.30pm


Town Council and Committee meetings in January: The next Town Council meeting will take place on Tuesday 22nd January 2018 and will be preceded by a Planning Committee meeting. Committee meetings will also take place on the 15th January (Planning and Finance & Assets) and 29th January (Open Spaces and Cemetery). All meetings start at 7.30pm in the Council Chamber at the Memorial Hall unless otherwise stated. Residents are welcome to attend and have an opportunity to ask questions if they wish. If you are disabled and unable to go up the stairs but still wish to attend a meeting, please contact the Clerk and arrangements will be made to hold the meeting downstairs.

If you would like to comment on any of the information above or request a copy of the minutes of any meeting, please contact the Town Council office at: Memorial Hall, Old Street, Upton upon Severn, WR8 0HA, tel: 01684 592273; email: clerk@uptonuponsevern-tc.org.uk or text/ WhatsApp to 07795 608892. Our website can be found by googling “Upton upon Severn Town Council” and clicking on the top link.


Congratulations: To Upton in Bloom who have achieved the coveted Gold award at the recent Britain in Bloom ceremony. This is a great achievement as Upton was judged between competitors from all over the country not just in the Midlands.  Over the years Upton in Bloom has gained Silver Gilt and Silver awards at the national competition but have now achieved the much-deserved Gold award that they have been chasing and we applaud them wholeheartedly.


NEW PLAY AREA LAUNCH!  The new play area is now open! The launch event took place on Saturday 27th November – many thanks to all who attended. If you haven’t been to see the park yet, come along – there is something for children of all ages and lots of seating for supervising parents and grandparents. We will be putting in the landscaping over the next month or so and Upton in Bloom have promised to help, so it’s bound to look amazing.

See our video of the construction below.



Bank location: The mobile bank will be in Upton in the OLD STREET CAR PARK from now onwards on Mondays 10am to 12pm and Fridays from 10am to 3pm, closed between 12.15 and 1pm for lunch.  


New housing development: A new housing estate of 43 properties is due to be built at Tunnel Hill, on the field approximately opposite the entrance to Milestone Road. Building is now underway and the development will take about 2 years to complete. We have a plan of the layout upstairs at the Memorial Hall and anyone is welcome to come and have a look (our opening hours are 10am – 2pm weekdays).


Pavement repairs: Repairs to the pavement in Court Street have been scheduled to take place early next year. 


Concerned about anti-social behaviour and vandalism? If you hear a disturbance, hear rowdy or loud behaviour that worries you or see anyone damaging anything or smashing bottles then ring 101 and report it to the police. We often hear about people’s concerns but very often they don’t report it because they think it’s not serious enough to bother the police with or that by the time police arrive, the people involved will have gone.

But report it anyway. The police ARE interested in these incidents and you won’t be wasting anyone’s time. They may not send anyone along immediately but they may put the area onto their routine patrols or, if the incident involves youngsters, visit the schools. And a few patrols by the police might prevent other incidents or deter people from making trouble in a particular location.

Call 101. Report it, every time. If it worries you then the police need to know.


Council Facebook page: For information, notice of meetings and other news, visit the Council's Facebook page and click like to get our updates. 


Update on Roadworks at Marina: Work will re-start onsite in September for the final Phase of works – Phase 3. This will involve raising the road between Fish Meadow/ Marina Entrance and Outside Rag House/Ryall's Chase and installing culverts beneath the new road. As with Phase 1 and 2, works will be undertaken under temporary traffic lights with a number of night closures at the end of the phase to fully surface and white line the carriageway. No day closures of the A4104 are expected to take place during this phase and further communications will go out in late August detailing the Phase 3 programme.


Upton Shuttle: The Upton Shuttle is a community bus service that brings passengers into Upton from their homes in and around Upton, Welland, Ripple, Uckinghall, Ryall, Naunton and anywhere else requested every Friday morning…and then takes them home again!

The service is greatly valued by its passengers and is truly inclusive. No-one has to go to a bus stop and wheelchairs are welcomed. There is a stop of about 45 minutes to an hour in the town but an enjoyable part of the trip is the bus journey itself where passengers can chat and get to know each other during the pick-ups. 

The Shuttle is seeking new volunteer drivers. If you can spare a Friday morning up to about lunchtime please get in touch, either with us or with Community Care, who run the service, via Jackie Phillips, Community Action, 28-30 Belle Vue Terrace, Malvern, WR14 4PZ.  


Rubbish Collections:

You can view the web page at www.malvernhills.gov.uk/waste-changes.

Please send any queries you may have wastechanges@malvernhills.gov.uk


Malvern Hills Food Bank:  The Food Bank is located at Unit 4, Spring Court, Spring Lane South, Malvern, WR14 1AT and is open to residents of Upton upon Severn and surrounding areas too. It is open on Mondays and Thursdays 10.15am - 12.45pm. 

The Food Bank works on a voucher system, so if you or someone you know needs help, please go to one of the local referral agencies who will do their best to help with the problem and if, necessary, provide a voucher which can be exchanged for a 3-day supply of emergency food from the Food Bank in Malvern or from one of the distribution centres.

Referral agencies in Upton upon Severn: Fortis Living, Children’s Centres, Social Services Worcestershire County Council, Citizens’ Advice Bureau and others – please check the website for the Malvern Hills Food Bank for the full list.

Local distribution centre: Riverboats Children’s Centre, Upton Primary School, School Lane, Upton upon Severn

The majority of recipients of Food Bank supplies are in work. In many cases, people are just getting by but then suffer an unexpected crisis, such as unemployment or illness, which casts them into financial difficulty. The food bank volunteers can also offer advice to people on how to manage their situation, with advice on benefits or other help that is available.

Can you help?…

By donating food? There are collection points at Roberts & Egan estate agents and Riverboats Children’s Centre, Upton Primary School, School Lane. Donations of rice, tinned meat, fish and tomatoes, tomato ketchup, pasta sauces, tea, coffee, fruit squash, jam, marmite, biscuits, fruit juice and shampoo are all greatly welcomed.

By donating your time? The Food Bank is run entirely by volunteers, including the administrators and accountants. Help is always needed at the weekly Food Bank sessions sorting food, assembling food parcels, in admin sorting rotas, vouchers and printing, or just to chat to people who come in, so they know they’re not on their own.

By donating money? The Food Bank need to purchase items for supplies that it is short of, and to pay for rent, printing and other operating costs.


Defibrillators in Upton upon Severn: Upton now has Community Public Access Defibrillators which are sited at Upton upon Severn Primary School in School Lane, The Hill Centre, Tunnel Hill and at the Sports Club building in Old Street. There are situated on outside walls in hi-vis yellow cabinets. The defibrillator at the Sports Club is in an unlocked cabinet for quick access. An alarm will sound when the cabinet is opened. To acess the other two cabinets, you will need to call 999 for the access code. 

In event of someone calling 999 and Ambulance Control establishing that there is a possible cardiac arrest they will ask if there is anyone present who can fetch the defibrillator and someone who is prepared to use it.

Ambulance control will tell the caller where it is and give them a code number to open the wall mounted box and retrieve the machine. The defibrillators are designed to be used by untrained people and alongside the support and advice that will be coming over the phone from Ambulance Control the machine gives verbal instructions as each step is performed.

After use the machine will be taken away by the ambulance crew for data download, cleaning etc. and then returned to site. In the event of someone going to the box without first speaking to Ambulance Control there are written instructions telling them to dial 999 and quote the reference number displayed on the cabinet, the process would then continue as above.

There is also a defibrillator in the Ye Olde Anchor Public House but that operates on a different system. Staff at the pub are trained to use the defibrillator and they would either be activated by ambulance control or react to any events they were made aware of.


Rural Reels: We are looking for volunteers to help with the organisation and running of screenings, particularly anyone who would like to receive training as a technician to operate the DVD and sound systems. If you are interested please contact the Town Clerk at clerk@uptonuponsevern-tc.org.uk  

If you or any organisation you represent would like a private screening or to show a film as part of an event you are planning, please contact the Town Council office to discuss this. Commercial films and licences can be supplied or you can show your own film if you wish.




Useful Links &
Further Information

Committee Memberships Task & Finish Groups Latest News Financial Information Links Consultations Policies & Documents Clubs, Societies & Festivals Staff & Volunteers Planning Applications Rural Reels